Identify Your Pest

miller the killer omaha nebraska pest asian beetle common

Asian Beetle

Quick Facts

Size

5.5-8.5 mm long

Preferred Habitat

Found all over the world, Asian beetles nest where their prey live. This means on plants, trees, bushes, and grass.

Known Health Issues

Asian beetles are capable of biting if they feel threatened. A bite from this insect is not poisonous or intensely painful, however the bite is capable of triggering an allergic reaction leading to pink-eye.
Print This Page

About

The harmonia axyridis, or as it’s commonly known, the Asian beetle, was first introduced to the United States in the early 1900s to help control pest populations that were damaging crops—namely aphids and scale insects. Typically thought to be beneficial, when the beetle enters the home, the odor they emit can be more annoying than anything, as well as the yellow fluid the Asian beetle emits before dying or when frightened, as it can leave stains on furniture, window sills, and the like.  

The harmonia axyridis, or as it’s commonly known, the Asian beetle, was first introduced to the United States in the early 1900s to help control pest populations that were damaging crops—namely aphids and scale insects. Typically thought to be beneficial, when the beetle enters the home, the odor they emit can be more annoying than anything, as well as the yellow fluid the Asian beetle emits before dying or when frightened, as it can leave stains on furniture, window sills, and the like.  Their coloring varies from reddish orange with black spots to black with two or four red spots. Invasions usually take place during the fall as the weather starts to cool. The Asian beetle is often found on the sides of homes and buildings that get the most sun in the afternoon and areas protected from potential predators are ideal. You may notice the beetles around downspouts and overhangs.

 

Is the Asian Beetle Dangerous?

Because the Asian beetle eats other insects, it’s not surprising that they occasionally bite humans. The bite typically feels like a small pinch and while it’s rarely dangerous, it has been known to cause allergic reactions in some people.